What happened to 50 cent?

We all remember the Get Rich Die Tryin movement; if you don’t remember it you damn sure felt the effects of the movement. Still to this day 50 is the largest debuting rapper of All-time, but what the hell happened?

On Get Rich 50 killed it with 800k the first week then backed it up again with another 800k the second . On his second album the Massacre, he sold a whopping 1.4 million the first week and 790k the first week for the Curtis album which was lower but let’s put it into perspective,  Jay-z has never sold over 680k his first week. So once again I ask, what happened?

Many hip hop fans have no idea 50 cent’s last album BISD only sold 160k in its first week debuting at # 5 on the charts, ouch! So I ask again, what happened?

It may seem hard to grasp, but its quite simple; when 50 cent first came on to the scene many compared him to the great 2pac. The world was fascinated by the fact that 2pac had been shot 5 times and lived, sadly 4 more bullets ended his life, but even more fascinating was the fact that 50 cent was shot 9 times and managed to live.

That gimmick worked for a short while along with 50’s aggressive style. 50 came in the game kicking rappers in the throat, going at rappers like Ja Rule and the whole Murder Inc to show his aggression. Yes, 2pac also was an aggressive rapper with hits known for murdering Biggie and Bad Boy with classics like Hit‘em Up.

Pac came on the scene with power but yet the necessary finesse needed keep his fans in tuned. He dropped tracks like Brenda’s got a baby, Keep your head up, Changes to name a few. So I asked what happened to 50 cent?…. its simple…

50 cent is a one dimensional rapper who’s only trained to attack, and engage in beef. I would compare 50’s career to a hamster on a hamster wheel. 50 has never gotten better as a rapper, he’s never improved his lyrics or his flow and lastly he’s never changed his tactics.

50 needs to make some serious adjustments after selling only a buck 60, needless to say its an embarrassment  when you add to the equation the amount of marketing dollars spent to push it. Listen, 50 better tighten up, I know he’s baiting Jay and taking shots at Game, Buck and Officer Ricky right now, but if he keeps on this path it won’t be long before he joins his buddy Ja in the infamous “finito” club.

Comments

1. Jay Wills says:

Unfortunately you are right. 50 has not tried to improve his craft so that he doesn’t have to rely on beef to sell records. All of his album releases have had controversy surrounding them in some form or another.

Get Rich or Die Trying was a classic and one of my all time favorites. But the Hamster is not as motivated as he used to be.

2. Young Phlo says:

Yea the beef tactics aren’t as effective today..
    but can you blame him for not being as motivated?

I have a love for music but I wouldn’t be motivated to do much of ANYTHING
    after making the amounts of money he has made. I’m sure 50 can chill for the rest of his life LOL. But still, instead of dragging the whole thing out I would’ve took a peaceful bow and retired as a respected artist.

• Jay Wills says:

If he is still rapping and not retiring like he said he would, then yea, i’ll still blame him. Some rappers feel like they can say anything on a track and sell. Some can, and some can’t.

The ones who can, it will only last so long before people will be like “WTF is this shit?”…like we are doing with 50.

He’s got more money than he really needs. So, in my opinion, if he is not going to step up the skill level, he needs to bow out like you said.

Oh, and I do agree with you that the beef tactics aren’t as effective.

• Mike Real says:

I agree the beef is not as effective any more he sold only 1k more then officer Ricky , unacceptable

3. Chick says:

Well said…… Minus the Jay-z comment.

4. Hi-Def says:

50 may not sell that much anymore, but shit,, who is???? Hes doing it big for hip-hop though, look at the this is 50 festival he threw in march, he had mad rappers there, including d-block, and he also threw a big ass festival in 40 side projects in queens then took the whole hood to great advantures in jersey. 50 got paper, i dont think he is concern with sellin records anymore, the nigga got vitamin water. …

5. OvaTyme says:

good article! all i wanna add is shyt 50 still getin major gwap! he dont gotta work as hard as he used to, its more of like a personal pride thang if he decides to put more into his albums, but if your comparing these later albums to get rich or die tryin the circumstances are way diff. he might just be complacent wit were he is in his all round career, at the tyme of his first album all he had was music, hence the hunger, now he has a mutiemillion dolla empire, he did wat alot of us would do if we got millies on deck, GOT LAZY!

6. Jay Wills says:

There are a lot of good points on here. But the fact still remains, his music hasn’t gotten much better. There are people who could care less about how much money he has, and just want good music from him.

Can anyone honestly say that Em has lost touch? Jada might not have as much money, but he has consistently delivered…

7. twnctssqxz says:

Jzl4HM lgueisdyvcxp, [url=http://efyoeratdfhm.com/]efyoeratdfhm[/url], [link=http://vsgiotorlfyu.com/]vsgiotorlfyu[/link], http://ciaqiqgfnsej.com/

8. INCA-TAINO says:

I WAS LIKE 18 WHEN ”GET RICH” DROPPED AND I REMEMBER HOW REAL IT WAS. THAT MOVEMENT, HE HAD ALL THE HOODS IN N.Y.C ON LOCK. EVEN BEFORE HE SIGNED WITH SHADY AND AFTERMATH, HE WAS ON FIRE ON THE STREETS, I MEAN IT WAS REAL SERIOUS ,THE WAY HE CAME OUT. I WOULD’VE NEVER IMAGINED THAT HE WOULD BE GOING OUT LIKE THIS IN HIPHOP YEARS LATER. IT MESSED UP TO SEE HOW PEOPLE VIEW HIM AS A SUCKER, I MEAN YEAH HE SET FOR LIFE, WITH THE MONEY. BUT WHAT ABOUT YOUR RESPECT , WHAT ABOUT THE RESPECT AND DIGNITY FOR HIS TRUE FANS, NOT THE KIDS FROM THE SUBURBS. I MEAN THE REAL FAN FROM THE INNERCITY LIKE ME(THE BRONX), WHO SUPPORTED ”HOW TO ROB” EVEN BEFORE I KNEW WHO 50CENT WAS. TO ME HE THE LAST REAL RAPPER TO EVER DO RAP, POST 2000. BUT ITS A SHAME WHAT THE MONEY DID TO HIM, HIS SOUL IS GONE. AND NOW HIPHOP IS BEING TAKEN OVER BY A BUNCH OF FRAUDS, YEAH WHO CAN SPIT, BUT STILL ARE FRAUDS AT THE END OF THE DAY…..R.I.P HIPHOP

9. I know WTF man fifty is the shit compare to this new age rap fucking posers I miss the old rap rap ended by like 2008 fifty cent was my favorite rapper I have all his albums I hope in a year fifty comes back and shows these faggot posers what real rap is and what it will have to be for generations fuck I hate this new fucking technotic shit man I hope rap changes

10. Consumer says:

Curtis is an actor now who wants to rap when you can make more doing movies?

11. young peter says: